Classification of sunbirds
A total of 15/132 species of sunbirds are found in Vietnam.
- The rufous-bellied sunbird’s English name is Ruby-cheeked sunbird and its scientific name is Chalcoparia singalensis.
- The brown-throated sunbird has the English name Brown-throated sunbird and the scientific name Anthreptes malacensis.
- The striped sunbird has the English name Purple-naped sunbird and the scientific name Hypogramma hypogrammicum
- The black-backed sunbird has the English name Copper-throated sunbird and the scientific name Leptocoma calcostetha.
- The pink-throated sunbird ( 7-color sunbird ) has the English name Purple-throated sunbird and the scientific name Leptocoma sperata.
- Black-throated sunbird has the English name Purple sunbird and the scientific name Cinnyris asiaticus.
- Purple-throated sunbird, another name is olive-backed sunbird, English name is Olive-backed sunbird and scientific name is Cinnyris jugularis.
- Yellow-bellied Sunbird or Gould’s Sunbird has the English name Mrs. Gould’s sunbird and its scientific name is Aethopyga gouldiae.
- Nepal sunbird or green-tailed sunbird, has the English name Green-tailed sunbird and the scientific name is Aethopyga nipalensis.
- The fork-tailed sunbird is also known as the fork-tailed sunbird or sharp-tailed sunbird, with the English name Fork-tailed sunbird and the scientific name Aethopyga christinae.
- The English name is Black-throated sunbird and the scientific name is Aethopyga saturata.
- Red sunbird or Crimson sunbird has the English name Crimson sunbird and the scientific name is Aethopyga siparaja.
- The long-beaked banana has the English name Little spiderhunter and the scientific name Arachnothera longirostra.
- Gray-breasted spiderhunter has the English name Grey-breasted spiderhunter and the scientific name Arachnothera modesta.
- Black spotted banana has the English name Streaked spiderhunter and the scientific name Arachnothera magna.
Sunbirds are very small birds, most of them have very long black beaks and slightly curved downwards, suitable for searching for food and sucking nectar from flowers. Sunbirds have many different feather colors such as red, yellow, green, purple, pink, black spots, brown throat and many other colorful colors, including 5-color sunbirds and sunbirds.bird7-color honeysuckle is the most popular to raise in our country. Sunbirds weigh from 5g to 49g, the smallest sunbird is Cinnyris nectarinioides and the largest is Arachnothera flavigaster. Distinguish between male and female birds.
- Male sunbirds: Their feathers are often colorful, their tail feathers are longer, their head, shoulders and body are larger than female birds, and they often sing.
- Female sunbirds: Feather color is often lighter or darker, tail feathers are short, body and head size are smaller and smaller than male birds.
Behavior and behavior
- Eating habits: Sunbirds feed mainly on nectar, occasionally they eat fruit and small insects.
- Herd behavior: Sunbirds often appear in pairs or small groups, some species also gather in large flocks to search for food and attack other animals to protect their territory.
- Reproductive behavior: Sunbirds usually breed in the rainy season, a suitable time with plenty of food to help young birds develop well. A sunbird’s nest resembles a small basket hanging from tree branches and foliage. Most species of sunbirds have nests built by the female bird, the male bird is responsible for helping raise the young and both take turns incubating the eggs.
- Migratory behavior: Most species have seasonal or short-distance migration habits depending on location and region.
Choose a cage
- Size: you should choose a cage with 54 to 68 spokes which is most reasonable, minimum cage diameter 40cm and height 60cm. Choosing a large-sized cage will help the bird fly and function better.
- Material: You should choose bird cages made of wood and bamboo as the most appropriate, because raising birds with wooden cages usually has little effect on the bird’s health and the durability of the cage is also higher. Compared to cages made of steel, the aesthetics are not beautiful, greatly reducing the quality of playing ornamental birds. In contrast, cages made of steel will be sturdy.
- Bird cages: With bird cages you can raise 1 – 2 birds. There are many different shapes of bird cages for you to choose from, you can use square bird cages, round bird cages, rectangular bird cages, hexagonal bird cages and other types of cages.
- Aviary cages (Avi): With these type of cages you can raise many sunbirds. The advantage is that the breeding area is airy, has a large area, is easy to clean and can raise many birds. The disadvantage is that the cage takes up a lot of space and is expensive.
- Berries: Raspberries, grapes, mulberries, blueberries and some other thin berries.
- Fruits: Rambutan, mango, watermelon, red dragon fruit, fish eggs and some other fruits.
- Nectar: Nectar of coconut flowers, hibiscus flowers, canna flowers, peach bell flowers, cotton flowers, cardamom flowers, banana flowers and some other nectars.
- Bugs and insects: small worms, ant eggs and some other small insects.
- General food (bran for sunbirds): You can buy sunbird bran or make your own bran according to the following recipe.
- Ingredients: 400g green beans, 40 chicken or duck eggs, 400g shrimp, 1 durian.
- How to make: Roast green beans until golden brown then grind them into a fine powder. Crack eggs to get only the yolk. Steam the shrimp until cooked then puree. Peel the durian to get the flesh and puree it. Mix everything together and then dry in a water bath for 6 hours. While drying the bran, squeeze the bran. If the bran is not crushed, put it in a plastic basket with about 3mm holes to create small bran particles. Continue drying until the bran is dry. This helps the bran to last a long time and not get moldy.
- Above is the recipe for making sunbird bran compiled from ornamental bird forums and sunbird care groups. This sunbird bran formula can produce 7-color sunbirds, 5-color sunbirds, brown-throated, plump, and almost all sunbirds.
- Liquid food:
- Ingredients: 50% Sugar water, 5% Honey, 45% Fruit juice (watermelon, mango,..).
- How to make: Mix all ingredients together
- Note: After feeding you can refrigerate for about 3-4 days. Every feeding needs to be cleaned thoroughly.
- Young birds: For newly brought baby sunbirds, you should feed them ant eggs and small worms and insects to help healthy birds develop best. When the bird has enough feathers, you can start practicing feeding the bird bran. Mix bran with insects in proportion, let the birds gradually get used to it.